NATPE 2017 and More. A Week in TV Formats
TV content buyers and sellers met at the NATPE 2017 market in Miami. Apart from business, networking, conferences and presentations (pictured: Telemundo's NATPE 2017 Presentation. Credit: Telemundo), NATPE 2017 also revealed the winners of NATPE Reality Breakthrough Awards, designed to honor programs and people that “broke through the clutter” in the preceding year.
Winners of 3rd Annual NATPE Reality Breakthrough Awards are (source: natpe.com):
- Best Documentary: O.J.: Made in America
- Best Docusoap: Chrisley Knows Best
- Best Factual Entertainment: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- Best Game Show: Hollywood Game Night
- Best Reality Competition: The Voice
- Best Reality Host: Steve Harvey
- Best Reality Personality: Blake Shelton
- Best Structured Reality: Shark Tank
- Best Unstructured Reality: Hard Knocks
TVBIZZ has issued a new edition of TVBIZZ Magazine; pdf version can be downloaded for free at tvbizzmagazine.com.
Keshet International has unveiled its new prime time musical reality competition show 'Heart Beats' at NATPE 2017. According to the distributor, this show "seeks to pair aspiring singers into music’s next power couple. Through a dedicated app, viewers will vote on live performances in real time as well as reshuffling the contestants into brand new musical and romantic couples each week. Viewers can also increase their involvement with the show through instant messaging, photo and video sharing, as well as entering competitions to win prizes in each episode of the series." 'Heart Beats' will debut in Argentina on Telefe (daily pre-recorded episodes plus 20 live weekly galas).
Also People’s Choice Awards 2017 announced the winners. 'Grey’s Anatomy' scored as Favorite Network TV Drama, 'The Voice' is Favorite Competition TV Show, Ellen DeGeneres Favorite Daytime TV Host and Jimmy Fallon won in Late Night category. 'Man with a Plan' is Favorite New TV Comedy of the year and 'This Is Us' scored in new drama category. Full list of winners is available at peopleschoice.com.
New season of long-running All3media format 'Undercover Boss' launched 9th season on RTL Germany with 4,4 mil. viewers 3+ and 16,5% share in 14-59 in Monday 9PM slot. Still well ahead of channel's averages but declining over previous season according to dwdl.de.
Launching this week:
- Florist competition format 'Born to Bloom' by Talpa launches in France on Saturday, January 28 (TF1, 4PM)
- Vox Germany launches second season of 'Kitchen Impossible' on Sunday, January 29 (8PM), a format by Endemol Shine in which professional cooks taste the dish and cook it again without a recipe and under the same conditions as the local chef. Season 1 was a strong performer with up to double-digit share in 14-59 target group